Monday, June 16, 2008

Drift Spa at Palms Place, Las Vegas


I first selected this spa because it advertised that they had a coed turkish hammam, allowing couples to meet together from both sides of the spa. The spa costs $35 for entrance and use of the facilities.
The theme of this spa is desert minimalism. The entire place is tiled with the colors of browns, grays and cream. The robes are comfortable and the sandals are jelly with massage points on them. The women's side includes a break room where you can lounge on a comfortable leather recliner and can choose to read magazines provided or watch tv on a large flat screen with curtains to enclose you in privacy. The women's facilities also included the pool room with a sauna and steam room. This pool room was covered with gray slate and included a large warm pool and a small cold plunge pool. The room has several sleek modern white chairs that you can sit and meditate in. The whole room has large windows with light from outside coming in. Looking out the windows the spa is enclosed by a fence along with beautiful desert greenery. There is even a spot where you can go outside and lay in a lounge chair. I found myself meditating on one of the sleek white lounge chairs with my eyes closed as the sunlight was reflected off the pools sparkling across the room.
The steam room at Drift Spa was turned up too high so that the instant I went in it felt as though I was being cooked alive. I instantly went out and dunked myself in the cold pool. Later I realized this was perfect hydrotherapy so I continued boiling myself alive and quickly dousing myself in the cold pool.
Later I met Matt in the turkish hammam room. It was covered all over in different colored brown tiles with a huge marble slab stone in the middle and marble benches on the wall to lie on. The lights in the ceiling were made to mimic light pouring in from holes in the ceiling like the turkish hammam in Istanbul I visited 6 years ago. It was mildly steamy and very comfortable to relax in. The only thing I didn't like about this room is they were playing hip hop music instead of calming spa music that was playing in the rest of the spa.
The showers were lovely with large overhead nozzles that felt like I was standing under a large warm rain shower. They provide you with nice shampoo and conditioner, lotion, hair products, blow dryers and a large vanity sinks in order to apply makeup and dress.
I loved this spa because of it's natural minimalist feel. It was so calming and the mix of the greenery outside with the natural light coming through made it a perfect place to calm down and relax.

No comments: